Saint John has had an active retired teacher’s group since April 1951 when 31 retired teachers met at Saint John’s Royal Hotel to form The Retired Teachers’ Association – annual dues were 50 cents.
Throughout its history, this association has played a leadership role in improving the lives of retired teachers by addressing pertinent issues. One of the earliest and most significant changes occurred when the government was lobbied to have pension payments made automatically as opposed to members having to apply monthly for the benefit. Other improvements for retired teachers had to do with insurance and medical coverage, and improved pension benefits.
The Retired Teachers’ Association became part of the provincial New Brunswick Society of Retired Teachers when the NBSRT was founded in 1975.
Source: Reflections (Spring Ed) – page 41